The NLRMTA's objectives as an organization are to:
- cultivate progressive ideas on the teaching of music;
- encourage definite preparation for the art of teaching;
- acknowledge music as part of child and adult education;
- seek the ultimate registration of all music teachers according to recognized musical standards;
- advocate for definite ethical standards of professional conduct among teachers;
- stimulate, by means of social activities, a spirit of collegiality among members of the profession.